1. You will need to know the location of your nearest Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate office. Please note that Consulates accept posted visa applications only which can vary in process time depending on the office and the time of your pending departure. If you go in person to the Royal Thai Embassy applications are normally processed within three days. However this is not a guarantee, therefore it is reasonable to apply a couple of weeks before departure to allow for any unforeseen delays.

2. Each person’s situation is different, of course, and there is no magic explanation or single document, certificate, or letter, which can guarantee visa issuance.

3. You need to be able to articulate the reasons you will study in your chosen program.  You should also be able to explain how studying in Thailand is related to your future professional career when you return home.

4. It should be clear at a glance to the officer dealing with your application what written documents you are presenting and what they signify. Lengthy written explanations cannot be quickly read or evaluated. You will be required to produce a copy of the admissions acceptance letter from Assumption to yourself.

5. Do not engage the consular officer in an argument. If you are denied a student visa, ask the officer for a list of documents he or she would suggest you bring in order to overcome the refusal, and try to get the reason for which you were denied visa in writing.


All services are meant for full time students with proper Non-Immigrant (category Ed) Visas subject to conditions as outlined below. Petitions and other forms are available from Visa Section at either campus. Au I.D-Card and receipt must be shown to receive service.

Stay Permit Extension
Au Visa Section applies for Non-Immigrant (Class Ed) Stay Permit Extension based on requests made by currently registered full time non-Thai students (12 credits or equivalent a semester). Those who register for less than 12 credits are considered part-time and will not be given extension of stay.
Must be applied for no less than 30 days before Expiry.
* Processing takes at least 3-4 hours
* Generally stay permit last 6 – 12 months.
* Passports are sometimes made available temporarily during processing period.
Students, who do not submit their passports on time, will be responsible for any additional fees or expenses

Stay Permit Cancellation
Please note that extension of Stay Permit is liable to termination by the Bureau of Thailand Immigration for Students under the following categories:
1. Students who are irregular in attendance; or
2. Students who are on probation; or
3. Students whose academic records are unsatisfactory including frequent withdrawals.
4. Students who are retired or
5. Students who graduated.

Re-Entry Permit
Is strongly suggested for any student who needs to temporarily leave Thailand for whatever purpose. This permit is in addition to the current Stay Permit Extension and does not change the expiry date of the visa. Re-Entry permits take up to week to process. Student should return to Thailand and apply for extension at least two weeks before the Stay Permit Extension expires.
– Single Entry – Baht 1,000
– Multiple Entry – Baht 3,800

Visa letter
If you know that you’re going to leave Thailand and cannot return before your Stay Permit expire, please contact the AU visa officer at least two weeks in advance, of your leaving Thailand , to obtain the certified letter to confirm that you are a student at AU. You can take these documents to apply for a new visa (ED only) to the Thai embassy or consulate in the country where you are staying. They’ll give you a new visa valid for 3 months. It may take them a few days so be prepared.
– The Visa letters are used to apply for new visas abroad at any Royal Thai Embassy / Consulate.
– Au Visa Section issues Visa Letters at the request of the students.
– Au Visa Section needs at least 3 days for processing.



* All non-Thai students must notify their places of residence to the Bureau of Immigration every 90 days.
* Au Visa Section submits 90-day Notices at the request of the students.
* Au Visa Section needs at least 3 days for processing.
* Must be applied for no less than 7 days before expiry of previous 90-Day Notice.
Expired 90-Day Notice can be renewed by exiting Thailand on Re-Entry Permit or obtaining new visa abroad.


Those who fail to comply are liable to a fne of Baht 5,000 with an additional fne of 500 baht for each day past expiry. Bureau of Immigration may collect fee upon exiting Thailand.

IF YOU MISS the 90-day report due date, you must go to the Immigration Department by yourself and, pay them a penalty of 2,000 Baht for missing your date and report your place of residence. If you lose your 90-day report tag (it will be attached to your passport), the Immigration Department will charge you an additional penalty of (2,000 Baht to 5,000 baht). AU will not pay your penalties. (We’ll take you there provided that you go on our scheduled trip)

Change Visa
(for education)
You should never try to enter as a visitor if you intend to become a student. The procedure to change your status is cumbersome and will take up a lot of your time. In order to change your visa status, you are required to have at least 30 valid days on your present visa. Several documents are required from both the university and you, the production of which will take time. Therefore, we strongly advise that you enter with the appropriate visa.

Passport Renewal
Please check your passport expiry date before you leave your home country. Your passport should extend beyond your intended stay in Thailand . If it does not you can get it extended at the Embassy or Consulate of your home country in Thailand or with the proper authorities in your home country.

Make sure your passport has space (pages) available for a Stay Permit Extension stamp. You can get more pages at any time at the Embassy or Consulate of your home country in Thailand.
Passports should be renewed no less than 6 months before passport expires.
Au staff should be informed before renewing passport.


Point of Entry/Exit

Tm. Card
– A card issued prior to entry and attached to passport by Immigration.
– TM. card must be retained and attached to passport at all times until next exit from Thailand.
– Immigration Officials issue Stay Permit by stamping passport at the point of entry.
– The Stamp provides the date of Stay Permit expiry.
Overstay !
– The Bureau of Immigration Charges Baht 500 / day for those who overstay their permit.
– Charges lived at point of exit.


Overstay If your Stay Permit has expired before you could extend it, you must go to the Immigration Department in person and pay the overstay penalty of 500 baht per day (maximum 20,000 baht). (We’ll take you there provided that you go on our scheduled trip).

New students who do not have ED visas will have to leave the country to get the proper visa. Other types of visa can not be converted to an ED visa from within Thailand .

If your passport expires while you are in Thailand your Stay Permit expires on the same date. This is true regardless of the date on the visa. This means that you are subject to the 500 Baht per day overstay fine (maximum 20,000 Baht) from the day your Passport expires. Once your passport has been extended the AU visa officer at no charge to the student can reinstate your visa with the original expiry date.If you had a multiple entry visa this will be lost. If you wish you can purchase a new multiple entry visa, from the Thai government, for 3,800 Baht.

Talk To Us Apply Online